REVISED January 2018
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Spring Valley-Lemon Grove Democratic Club.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The purpose of this club shall be to promote the principles of the Democratic Party in Spring Valley and Lemon Grove.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1 – ELIGIBILITY
Anyone registered as a Democrat or, or who has expressed intent to register as a Democrat, shall be eligible for membership in this club.
SECTION 2 – GOOD STANDING
Everyone eligible to be a member of this club and whose annual dues are currently paid shall be a member in good standing.
SECTION 3 – DUES
Dues in an amount set by the membership shall be due and payable upon joining the club, and annually on of each year.
SECTION 4 – VOTING
No proxy voting shall be permitted.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
SECTION 1 – ELECTED OFFICERS
Elected officers of this club shall be the President, Secretary-Treasurer, Communications Director, Program Chair and Membership Coordinator. Each shall be elected at the general meeting in December and hold office for one year.
SECTION 2 – DUTIES
- The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the club. He/she shall preside over all meetings of the club and the executive board; make appointments to other positions as required; act as official spokesperson of the club.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the general meetings and executive committee meetings, conduct correspondence, maintain the club’s records, and maintain internal communications.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the collection of dues, receive and deposit all club funds received; maintain an accurate record of club receipts and expenditures; sign all checks as authorized by the Executive Board; make the record of club receipts and expenditures available to any member when requested; provide a report of the club financial status at club meetings as requested; provide an annual written report of club financial status; make the books and all other financial records of the club available to the audit committee each year in May. In addition the Treasurer shall be responsible for filing appropriate Federal and State campaign disclosure reports.
- The Communications Director will be in charge of maintaining regular communication with club members regarding club meetings and activities. This officer will also oversee the club’s website and make sure information about the club is kept current on the San Diego County Democratic Party website.
- The Program Chair is responsible for inviting speakers to monthly meetings and coordinating other club events such as participation in the Pride Parade, the annual holiday party and Fall membership event.
- The Membership Coordinator will be responsible for the annual rechartering, maintaining an accurate listing of members with their contact information, and promoting visibility of the club in the community.
SECTION 3 – ELECTIONS
Elections shall be held annually. Those nominees who receive a majority vote shall be declared elected. If no person receives a majority of votes cast, a run-off shall be held between those two persons receiving the greatest number of votes.
SECTION 4 – VACANCIES
Should any officer resign or fail to attend three general meetings or Executive Board meetings in a row without cause approved by the Executive Board, the Executive Board shall declare that office vacant and appoint a successor to that office to complete the unexpired term. Any such appointment shall, however, be approved by the membership at the next general meeting. At that meeting, nominations to fill the vacancy shall also be accepted from the floor. Voting shall be by secret ballot with a majority of those members in good standing present required to elect.
ARTICLE V- MEETINGS
SECTION 1 – GENERAL MEETINGS
There shall be a minimum of two general meetings each year, at least one of which shall be in January. Other general meetings shall be held at such times and places as specified by a majority of the Executive Board.
SECTION 2 – QUORUM
A quorum at any general meeting shall be ten percent of the membership in good standing. A quorum of the Executive Board shall be by a majority of its elected members.
SECTION 3 – NOTICES
At least ten days prior to a general meeting at which the following items will be discussed and voted upon, the Secretary shall send a notice addressed to each member of the club in good standing:
- Proposed resolutions
- Endorsements of candidates and/or ballot measures
- Filling of any vacancies
- Proposed amendments to these bylaws
- Such notice shall specify the time, place and date of the general meeting and describe the event.
ARTICLE VI – EXECUTIVE BOARD
SECTION 1 – FUNCTION
The Executive Board shall approve all expenditures and carry out the club business between general meetings in a manner consistent with actions taken at the general meetings, and perform any other duties provided for in these bylaws. The President shall pre-approve any written correspondence on behalf of the club. The President shall be the sole spokesperson of the club.
SECTION 2 – MEMBERSHIP
Membership of the Executive Board shall include all of the currently elected club officers, and the then current Committee Chairs.
SECTION 3 – MEETINGS
The President shall call a meeting, with advance notice, of the Executive Board as needed. Special meetings may be called by a majority of the currently elected members of the Executive Board at any time. A majority of the then currently elected members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VII – CANDIDATE ENDORSEMENTS
- All endorsements of candidates or resolutions concerning ballot measures or public issues must be in accordance with the standards established by the California State Democratic Party and the San Diego County Democratic Party. It is also the tradition and stated goal of the Club not to make endorsements or to pass resolutions which will adversely affect the unity of the Democratic Party.
- Only candidates who are registered Democrats are eligible for Club endorsement.
- For the purpose of voting on motions to endorse candidates or ballot measures, eligible voters will include only those who were paid members at the time of a previous club meeting within the last two years. Persons who have had their membership lapse within the past two years will have an opportunity to participate in the endorsement process as long as their membership is paid up at the time of the endorsement vote.
- A motion to endorse a candidate or take a position on a ballot measure must receive the vote of a majority of the Club members present who are eligible to vote in the endorsement process. The quorum necessary to adopt a motion shall be ten members or one fourth of the total paid up membership, whichever is less.
ARTICLE VIII – CLUB REPRESENTATIVES
SECTION 1 – California Democratic Party (CDP)
In order to be eligible to participate in CDP pre-endorsing conferences, the Club’s President or Secretary will ratify the roster of Democratic members in good standing by July 1 of each odd-numbered year identifying the legislative districts and representatives for each district and submit it to the CDP and SDCDP . Representatives should be equally apportioned between men and women to the extent possible.
SECTION 2 – San Diego County Democratic Party (SDCDP) Associate Member
Under the club’s charter with SDCDP, its President is a representative of the SDCDP Central Committee as an Associate Member. If the President is already a Central Committee member or chooses not to serve, a different representative may be selected to serve his or her term according to the provisions of Section 3 and 4 of this Article. An Associate Member application, for the President or any other representative, must be submitted to the SDCDP within 30 days of his or her selection by the club
SECTION 3 – Selection
Club representatives to the CDP and SDCDP- and any other official representative, delegates and alternates from the club to conferences, caucuses, councils, conventions and other meetings – shall be selected by a vote of members in good standing at a duly noted club meeting or, if that cannot occur at a regular or special meeting, by designation of the President.
SECTION 4- Adherence to Cub Positions.
Club Representatives described in this Article, when participating in voting and discussion in that capacity shall adhere to and represent the club’s official positions on endorsements and other matters wherever applicable, and shall agree to do so prior to their selection.
SECTION 5 – Other SDCDP Representatives
- The Executive Board will designate a GO Team Liaison
- The Executive Board will designate a SDCDP Voter Registration Liaison.
ARTICLE IX – AFFILIATION
The club shall affiliate as an associate member of the County Democratic Central Committee and pay the current annual chartering fee.